5 Things I learn from Traveling



Traveling? Getting out of my comfort zone a.k.a. my room? Ew. No. My teenage soul was trembling just thinking about it. I was never into traveling back then. I think it's something to do with the power of financial freedom. Now that I am more in control of it. I can manage it to travel a bit more.

So, by any means, I am no expert when it comes to traveling. Though I like traveling, I still don't like to do all the planning stuff. That's why I get to learn a couple of things "I wish" I do and don't. And I would like to share them with you here.

Do more research
Most of the time, you already know when and where you want to go. But do you know why you want to go there? I mean, it's okay if you have no solid purpose. Maybe you want to be there just to relax and have fun and get some good photographs. That's totally fine. I am just like that most of the time lol.

But I am pointing this out because I regret that I didn't do enough research on places I headed to especially when visiting historical places. I feel like it is a shame that when you are actually standing right there in such amazing places but you have zero information about it. For example, Colosseum, it is a must to visit if you are in Rome. But what's the history of it? When did this happen? What did they do to it? The questions just go on.

So I personally think it is important to learn more about the story behind things. It's quite eye-opening to see new different places while being able to understand why or how all of this happened.

Plan ahead (Please)
Oh, come on? We already know that. DUH! Yes sir, yes ma'am, I hear you. We all know that have to plan on when and where to go or how much you need to spend on a trip. That's like the basic thing to do. But

I wish I would be more in detail. Like, I knew that in order to visit museums in Amsterdam, I could book tickets online. But I was stupid enough to check it only 2 days before I was actually there just because I was too chilled about it. So I missed out on that one (but that's okay). And I guess I was still in progress of sucking that in because it also happened with us when we were in Rome. The tickets were all sold out.

Or when I was in Taiwan with friends. We agreed that we would buy extra check-in luggage to share because we knew that we would buy loads of stuff, just by the night before we flew back. And that was when disaster came. Somehow, we couldn't manage to book extra check-in bags so we had to call my friend's boyfriend in Bangkok to do it for us. And out of frustration, we chose the wrong option but only to find that out just right at the check-in desk. HOLY MOLY. I had to run back and forth to figure things out. Even though all was settled at the end but NEVER AGAIN.

Getting a tour guide isn't so bad
This is something to do with the first two things I mentioned above. I was too late to book tickets to enter Colosseum and all. So we decided that we would just go there and see what was out there to offer. Agents came yo us once they knew we didn't have tickets yet and try to sell us with a package tour at a ridiculously high price.

We walked here and there just because we didn't know what to do. And then there was a guy who looked trustworthy (enough) for me to come up and ask for his help. He suggested a package tour with 30euro. I was hesitated at first as I was too paranoid about scamming in Rome. But we decided to go for it since the regular cost for all entrance was 12euro, plus we could get in earlier than waiting for a long line and we also got a guide to show us around.

And that was the first time I used a tour guide which was pretty cool to me. I told my boyfriend I was glad we took the tour even though we paid higher. Otherwise, I would just stand in a colosseum, Pal knowing nothing more that it was a historical place.

Expect the unexpected
Isn't it frustrating when things don't go as planned? Well, I totally understand especially when transportation is delayed or you are nearly missing the schedule. I once almost missed a bus ride back to Bangkok and I almost bit my boyfriend's head out of frustration. I know how it feels.

But on the other way round, from the perspective of a lazy-but-anxious traveler like me, a good experience can sometimes come as unplanned! Like when I was in Taiwan and we planned to visit the Thousand Island Lake in Shiding, but we ended up at Shiding Old Street. I still insist that it was the best unplanned plan ever. So what I am trying to convince myself is to just go with the flow.

Good shoes, good life
I learned this a hard way when I walked around in Taipai and in Rome. I used to consider shoes as an accessory, not a necessity. It was a pain for me to buy good quality shoes at a higher price. But it isn't fun walking around in pain in a not-so-good pair of shoes. I am working on myself to finally invest in ones. What would I suggest? Well, I am yet to find out. Let me know some recommendations. 😁


And I cannot wait to travel again!

Comments

Popular Posts