Habitat for Humanity


Today is my last day at Habitat for Humanity Thailand. I didn't know I would be this sad but I am. I didn't know I could be this attached to any jobs in the world but here I am.

But most importantly, I didn't know that Habitat would give me so many life lessons. So I would like to share my gratitude here.

Firstly, let's talk about my background. Growing up, I had always been living in someone else's place. I grew up with fears and insecurities knowing that the place I was sleeping every night was temporary. No, it wasn't a forever home. Moving here and there isn't pretty. I remember crying at night in silence because I didn’t want anyone to know. I felt as fragile as thin glass. Under silly jokes and a smiley face, I was broken inside. I was terrified of moving in and out for eternity. Where will my parents stay when they grow older and weaker? When will this ever end? Will I ever settle down? Questions go on and on.

But then I was lucky enough that I had the opportunity to buy a house later on. Once in a lifetime am I so relieved to settle somewhere I can call it my home.

A home that many people sometimes take it for granted.

So when I heard from a very good friend of mine about working at Habitat for Humanity, I hesitated at first because I was too self-conscious if I could ever do it. But if it meant I could help people out there who were in the same situation as me or even worse, I wanted to be a part of it to change their lives.

So, since that day, It's been a great 2 years-ish working with Habitat. It felt like I am finally where I supposed to be. The duty here answered all of my questions- Why do I exist? What is my purpose? How can a person like me give back to the world? It gave me a purpose to live, to stress out, to work hard, to dedicate all of my energy, and to be a better person so that I can help more people. It's all worth it. 

I've done what was way beyond my comfort introvert zone. Like what? Well, like traveling here and there, being away from home once in a while (or even a whole month), sleeping alone in a hotel room (I'm horrified of ghosts and spirituals. EEEK), being a leader, building houses, or meeting new people. And the list went on and on. HOLY.

I've come so far from the beginning. If it's not because of my awesome manager, fun and hard-working Habitat staff, supportive volunteers, and deserving families, I wouldn't have made it this far.

I am also thankful for Habitat for allowing me to get to know myself more. I made mistakes but they gave me chances to try again to make things right. I discovered myself in the way I could never imagine. I enjoy every bit of my time here. I love building homes with volunteers, families, staff, and local people. And all of this is because of Habitat.

Working with like-minded people is such a blessing in so many ways. I am glad to be a tiny bit part to change someone's life. And I thank everything in this world for letting me doing this job once in a lifetime.

I will forever cherish all of the good memories with Habitat.







Until our path crosses again.

Comments

Popular Posts